Friday, October 15, 2010

ipad cartoon of REGGIE MANTLE from "THE RIVERDALE HIGH" project by Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling

The way I see it, in the ARCHIE COMICS universe, REGGIE MANTLE is the coolest character. Reggie stands out from the rest of The Riverdale cast of characters because we know so little about him. I'm not a "die hard" ARCHIE COMICS historian, but I've read the series enough to never recall EVER seeing Reggie's parents or any other family member for that matter. Why is that? I think because the original writers of the ARCHIE COMICS series wanted to pen him as the "villain" Archie's nemesis, and as such, we couldn't make him as "human" as Archie. To give Reggie brothers and sisters, not to mention loving mom and dad, would definitely turn the barometer down on the Reggie Mantle "hate " factor. But we DONT hate Reggie, do we? Reggie is a kind of lovable rouge. He's not rich, but always seems to have money. He drives a fancy car, has no problem with the ladies, and gives Archie a run for his money with Veronica, who I feel , is Reggies natural "soul mate". She knows it too, which is why she cant stop dating him occasionally.

In my depiction of Reggie, I chose to give him "devilishly good looks" Reggie doesn't have a big ego for no reason. He KNOWS he's Hot! The Reggie In my cartoon universe, also has shorted his name to REG after all, he was called "REGGIE" when he was a kid, but now that he's a suave hunk of riverdale beefcake , he needs a name to fit his suave persona.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Subway Surfer - your skillz on the iPad are getting better - my only suggestion - try solid colors (think vector graphics) when filling shapes in - i think you will have better results - keep up the good work!

Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

Jon, thank you so much for taking time out to respond. This is a new experience for me,and I'm literally finding my way as I go, using an intuitivemethos, and trying to mimic airbrush caricature artists,like Roger Hurtado, and Glen Fergueson.I've tried your approach,I think, using the paint buck.ket tool, but only succeeding in filling up the entire canvas with paint, instead of my designated area. Any additional suggestions you van give to streamline my process, would be appreciated. Thanks again,and hope you enjoy my additional entries, stay tuned! Jughead is next!