Friday, January 06, 2012

SUBWAYSURFER CARICATURE TOP TEN

Considering the thousands of faces I've drawn over the years, it really is hard to make a really definitive top ten list. However, the pics that I've chosen here do hold a special place in my heart a d I find myself going back again and again to admire them. Each one marks either a particular prolific drawing period in my artistic life, the adding of a new principle,or an artistic breakthrough on a new method. It's not listed in terms of priority, meaning number one n my list is superior to number ten, it's just that I have to start SOMEWHERE, so I dd. Hope you enjoy the pictures ad the commentary.


1. "HAMMER HEAD SHARK DUDE ON THE BUS"
I will never forget the unbelievably large protruding forehead of this guy who sat across from me on the Q32 Bus. I immediately thought that if Hammerhead sharks were to evolve into humans, this guy would be the result. I originally drew this in pencil, then colored it in my iPad using the art studio app. This was the first time I'd used the app to color over my pencil lines which took my coloring technique to a new level. Aside from his forehead, I loved the way I was able to capture his subtle expression and personality. It was just like I'd caught him in mid sentence.

2 ANTHONY WEINER GETTIN KICKED BY TWITTER BIRD
I drew this Editorial caricature of Anthony Weiner following his "sexting" scandal where he accidentally sent a provocative message on twitter to what he thought was one of his liaisons.the caricature was dead on and had just tge right amount if exaggeration and animated quality to it.

3 DUDE WITH THE GIGANTIC EARS

I love this caricature because it was done during a period where I was trying to go all out with my exaggerations while still maintaining a likeness. At the urging of a collegue, who suggested that I draw the ears reaaaaalllly impossibly oversized, this "butterfly head" bag was the result.



4 GIRL WITH A WEAVE! WITH LIPS LIKE A DUCK

This pic is so memorable because it marked the absolute first time I did an extreme exaggeration in a live setting. I drew this caricature on 11X14 paper with a colored penci. She was an especially beautiful girl with an unbelievable mane of thick curly hair that seemed to be everywhere! That was my first visual hook, the next one was her full lips, and mouth that was slightly open. I saw her completely from profile view, which enabled her to be totally unaware of me, and enabled me to get a really good look at her. Prior to drawing this caricature, I avoided drawing profiles, but after this began to love them.



5 BI-RACIAL COUPLE

Ths was drawn during my colored pencil period, and was a gift caricature of a Bi racial couple I'd met in Starbucks in Brooklyn Heights. She had this cutie pie face, with a mane of curly hair that framed her face perfectly. The most outstanding thing about him was his looooong neck. Possibly te longest on a guy I'd ever seen which didn't seem to match his height.



6 CARICATURE COMMUTERS IN PEN AND INK
I KNOW this is a group, and technically not a single "sixth" caricature, but they all have that same awesome ink line which demonstrates my skill when I was really into doing pure "open" inked caricatures minus shading colour and other props. It also represented my signature party caricature style





7 CARTOON FAMILY PORTRAIT

This is one of my personal all time favorite caricatures because it was a departure from my caricature/portrait style that I had grown comfortable doing. During this artistic period, I began to be heavily include by several "caricature cubists" like Andy URZUA, Chrs Chua, and several Japanese artists from the NCN. I always wanted to break out and use this style exclusively, but never quite developed the confidence to Donita live....YET.

From left to right, Wife Charlena, Me, Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling, Son, Gerard, daughter Janine, and oh yeah, my doggie,, Butchie!

8 CARICATURE OF JOHN THE BAPTIST
THIS S MORE OF A CHARACTER DESIGN!cartoon/caricature of the biblical,l prophet.

9 BUGS BUNNY GIRL
She had a tremendous mouth like a cave

she looks a little like bugs bunny dont she?

10 HUMAN BEAVER
Raul, a fan from FACEBOOK requested that I draw his caricature highly exaggerated after viewing my work. It had been weeks since I'd gotten my iPad, and I wanted to prove to myself that I could do a commissioned drawing from start to finish, entirely on the device itself. I did all my initial pencil lines and digital painting. It took days to complete, but the end result was magical, and gave me a lot og confidence.


As soon as I saw that overbite of Raul, I knew EXACTLY what flavor THIScaricature was gonna be! Drawn/ painted in art studio app, on the iPad, using the, you guessed it, the ifaraday stylus, and a lotta patience.

No comments: