Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Base Guitarists On The L Train


Was riding the L Train from 14th Street to 8th ave, and overheard these two musicians talking to each other....."man, I gave the dude some money! he was good!..." said one of them, as he was commenting on a subway musician he'd just heard. ".....not me ...." said the other, ".....wouldnt even shake his hand, it's a Bad Omen!" I couldnt resist lookin at the face of someone who said something so outrageous, and started drawin him. He noticed me drawin him and then HE took out a sheet of paper and started drawing me! I took it in stride and when I completed my sketch showed it to him and gave it to him. I liked the fact that his face had this sullen intense look which reminded me of Steve McQueen. He had a great sense of humour though, in spite of his intense look and he laughed and handed me his drawing. His fellow base player felt left out and made a subtle request to have his picture done also. He spoke with a southern drawl and when i looked at him he kinda reminded me of actor, Tommy Lee Jones. He had that Kind of vibe. Visually he had features like his bud, that were "made" for caricatue. Slicked back hair, intense blue eyes, cheekbones that looked like handballs when he grinned, and that classic "BUTT CHIN" we caricaturists love to make fun of. I handed him the picture and he loved it. As they got off I very quickly made copies for myself that Im posting here. I really wish these guys luck as musicians, they definitely have a signiture look that should carry them places.

2 comments:

Deanie Canales said...

basing from their looks, the cartoons really do look like rock stars, the art blended so well. keep it up!

below is a site for more digital caricatures-- > digital caricature

thank you and have a great day!!!

Anonymous said...

basing from their looks, the cartoons really do look like rock stars, the art blended so well. keep it up!

below is a site for more digital caricatures-- > digital caricature

thank you and have a great day!!!