Thursday, November 04, 2010

ipad Editorial Cartoon for THE WAVE NEWSPAPER

Yep folks, this is my FIRST EVER all digital Editorial cartoon Drawn for THE WAVE NEWSPAPER in Far Rockaway, New York. This illo enhances the editorial copy featuring NYC School Chancellor, Joel Klien, who is getting a less than positive reaction from the UNITED FEDERATION OF TEACHERS UNION in response to Klien wanting to submit a "teachers report card" based on information that is "less than accurate" to put it mildly. I had some computer issues that prevented me from drawing it and hooking it up to the scanner, so I was FORCED to draw everything from start to finish with the ipad. Its wonderful what can happen when you're put under pressure.

I found the illustration easy to put together. Chancellor Klien has a hilarious face to begin with, and having drawn him previously, I was able to draw him again with no difficulty at all. Being a fan of Tex Avery, The old "kick in the pants" gag is a standard device that came to mind immediately when I read the editorial copy that came from my editor. The Art Studio app for ipad is very user friendly and since it works with layers, I was able to do the initial sketch  in the same way I would with tracing paper,and use subsequent layers for the line and for shading. Ive grown accustomed to using the Pogo Stylus, even though it's not the best tool, and now that I have the ifaraday stylus, http://ifaraday.com/  which is much more responsive, my drawing will look even MORE powerful. I was able to create this in about one hour, which is good considering that it was my first time doing it from start to finish.  I KNOW in the future I will be submitting all of my editorial illustrations, using the device, and will save lots of money on paper as well!