Thursday, October 06, 2011

Caricature of BIG NOSE INTOXICATED MAN ON THE BUS


I was coming home energized like I always am after a great caricature gig. This "energizer bunny" phenomenon is unique to us caricature artists after hours of intense drawing. It's almost like a type of drawing fever takes a hold of you, and it takes hours to calm down. I do some of my best "subway surfing" during these times, and today was no exception.

I was fortunate enough to get a nice window seat on a Rockaway Bound 35 bus traveling from Brooklyn. The 35 is the only bus that travels directly to the Rockaways from Brooklyn, and comparatively speaking the ride is fast compared to the train. The only drawback is that you board the 35 bus on Flatbush ave, a major shopping area, with 100 of your neighbors, each competing for the same limited seats.

When I say I was fortunate, I ain't kidding.

Within minutes, however, I almost regretted sitting down. Directly in front of me, was a man so heavily intoxicated that he seemed to be sweating Vodka.to say that this guy reeked of alcohol is like saying Niagra Falls is a little wet. It seemed that Any minute this guy was going to pitch over and vomit on his shoes.... And if he turned just a little to his left... I'd have a lap full of vomit stew.... Not a pleasant thought.

Oh....but what a face he had! Beautiful dramatic angles and folds, and a nose that only a caricature artist could love! I HAD to draw him! But HOW?? I mean, he was sitting right across from me! I had to think if something unconventional.... So I put on a pair of dark shades. Now normally doing this would make draw g a little harder, but somehow the dark glasses served as an invisible barrier that gave me confidence to look at him for extended periods without alerting him.
The strategy worked beautifully, and I managed to get this great sketch without one drop of vomit landing on me. We both got off the bus at the last stop,I went happily to my studio to put the finishing touches on the sketch, as I watched him stagger slowly in the direction of the bar...

5 comments:

Tom Kerr said...

Nice mark making...a good un'!

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

I've seen this guy on the bus before.

Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

You've seen him? Is there a story?

Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

You've seen him? Is there a story?

Tyler said...

EXPRESS YOURSELF!