Friday, June 13, 2008

Brooklyn Party Gig!




While most people were inside thankful for air conditioning, I was sweating it out in the hundred degree heat drawing caricatures for the folks in Brooklyn at a corporate event. These three minutes sketches were wearing me out!!

I've noticed that although, "good" I'm NOT getting the level of exaggeration I want on these drawings. Perhaps its the time factor. I feel a need to get "everyone done" so I have a tendency to speed up my process and just get the essential details down when doing a party sketch.

When doing party sketches Its really important that the person being drawn LIKES your rendition of them .You're being paid (quite well, I might add) to make the guests HAPPY, so you really have to resist the urge to "go for it" like you normally would drawing on your own. (thank God for my subway sketches! its a way to let the exaggeration demon loose.) I've actually been at events where I've put up my exaggerated caricatures on a sign and had people smile ad walk by refusing to get done. Do this long enough and people wont be calling you to do their party....

Knowing me I will probably revisit some of these faces too.

No comments: